Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

Did I say something stupid here?

A delivery guy at work said “have a nice day” as he was leaving. I was busy and I’m already awkward at finding an appropriate response immediately and so I said thank you to him.  He’s probably thinking I’m rude because I didn’t say to have a good day or anything, just thanked him for delivering our stuff.  I’m just so terrible at finding a response when I’m put on the spot like that.

I like to say  " no I dont want to have a nice day and you cant make me "

• Jerry

Relax. "Have a nice day" is a conventional phrase and shouldn't be taken literally. 

You know how people say "how are you" but what they really mean is "greetings" and aren't really interested in your health? "Have a nice day" is like that. It's just a polite nothing we use to say "I'm leaving now; good-bye." And your "thank you" is like that too. Service people understand it's not just a thank you, but one polite way to say "I acknowledge that you said good-bye." 

In that moment, you responded in a way that felt natural for you.  There is no one right way to respond to anyone in any setting.

i dont think so

No, it was not stupid. You acknowledged that he spoke to you.

Try saying, "You do the same" over and over and over again until it just comes out without much when someone tells you something like that. 

Do not worry about it. You said thank you, which is good.  Most people say nothing when they are told to have a nice day.