Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 3 weeks ago

When running a small business who is responsible for packages lost in the mail? ?

I ordered a facemask and it was delivered to my locked mailbox or at least that is what the post office is trying to claim. I brought it up to the person i purchased from and they told me they do not offer refunds. That is fair, I understand that. However when i called the post office they told me they are opening up an investigation because apparently a lot of us from the same apartment complex have all been complaining of stolen packages from our locked mailboxes but they also told me my package was not covered with insurance so there was nothing that could be done. My question is, as a business owner, if you are shipping a product shouldn't you have your packages insured? I do not have a clue as to how a business runs or works but I do understand that bigger companies over this. If you aren't going to offer insurance shouldn't they at least offer something since it was not delivered? Or is this 100% on the postal service? 

It belongs to the seller until you (the buyer)  open the box.  

Source(s): life

Once it leaves the senders hands they have zero control over what happens.  It costs extra for getting a signature at the delivery end, small items under a certain dollar amount would have the price increase be too significant.  

No.  It is your responsibility to insure your item, not the seller's.  When the seller checks that the post office claims it was delivered, then the seller has done all it can do and is no longer responsible.  So your issue is with the post office, not the seller, who did everything right.

• Scott

Once the seller hands the package over to the postal service, the package becomes the responsibility of the postal service, it is out of the seller's control at that point.

• John

You, the customer, pay for shipping. Don't kid yourself, "FREE SHIPPING!" just means it's already imbedded in the price. You want insurance you get insurance. It will be around double the cost of first class shipping.

If you paid with a credit card and didn't get the package, for whatever reason, I'd cancel the charge with the credit card. You don't know if the post office lost it or the sender failed to send it, or what, but you do know that its not your fault, so I'd just cancel it with the credit card and tell them you never received it. If you paid with cash then that money is gone.

• J

Package insurance is for items over a certain value. Nobody is going to insure a face mask. The mask probably costs less than the insurance. Did you get a tracking number when the item shipped? If they delivered it, it’s really not their fault. Especially since they put it in a locked box. If they had left it outside for anyone to take, I’d try to say it’s their fault. But if someone who works in your apartment complex is stealing packages, that’s not the company or post office’s fault. 

There are few businesses that offer replaces if they know that the package was delivered.  This is why Amazon often takes pictures of the product at drop off.  It says "here it is; no longer our responsibility".  If it is your house, you have no recourse.

Prior to 2018, you were able to claim this sort of situation as a tax deduction if you itemized.  Now, the rules only allow it in a few situations.PS - it doesn't look like the Y!A answers crowd does a lot of online shopping.  Most places do not allow you to add insurance at your own cost.