Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 4 weeks ago

License plate question for Michigan?

The Michigan extension for licenses, ids, permits, and what not, ends tomorrow. I have to renew my Permit, I also need to get a license plate for this car I use, it is my father's car, but he bought it for me to use. my father has a brand new license plate for one of his other vehicles, but he did not use it. If this extension ends and a license plate is required to drive again, could we put this other license plate on this car to get by for now?

or would that be a problem? I can't get an appointment at the SOS right now even if I wanted to, at the earliest I can get in around December 30th! I really don't see how they expect people to get all of the required things needed..when they are delaying appointments for months on end.

• Scott

Yes it will be a problem. Displaying a plate not registered to that vehicle is illegal. If the plate doesn't match the vehicle, a cop will assume you're driving a stolen car.

You cannot swap tags between cars.

• May

Yeah....Big problem !   How do you spell  

...............C R I M E  ?

You may be able to use that plate but your DMV would have to transfer it for you.  You just can't put that plate on a different vehicle on your own without DMV involvement.

Putting a fictitious license plate on the car is just asking for legal troubles and hefty fines.

Major problem. If you got stopped by the police or got into an accident, then having the wrong license plate on the vehicle carries a hefty fine and a criminal charge that, in the worst case, can result in a jail sentence. If you got caught driving it, your permit would be revoked with no chance of getting it back before you turn 18. Bottom line, suck it up and deal with not being able to drive for awhile.