Can you rent an apt in CA without an AC unit?

Hello,

My new neighbor moved into the remodeled studio downstairs. Prior to the him moving in that space was a storage unit. I just found out that there is no a.c. in the apt and it has one window. We live in central California where it can reach 112 on some days. My neighbor also has a daughter that can't visit when we have a heatwave, which is most of the time. How do I find out what the building codes are for California and who does my neighbor talk to about this? I remember talking to one of the guys doing construction and he told me he had to fight to install a bigger window because the company he works for are notorious for cutting corners. He said he refused because what they asked for was a fire hazard. 

Anyway, thank you in advance.

Air Conditioning isn't a requirement. It's a bonus. But what that apartment sounds like is a health hazard. That's where I'd start--call the Department of Health, or the Welfare department--or Housing office, which would be able to evaluate the habitability of the apartment. It sounds like a death trap to me. 

• R P

Yes, you can rent an apartment in California that does not have an AC unit.

heatwave, huh? nah.... 

also. fans exist. as do portable ac units that you can.. you know.. BUY.

you get what you pay for.

Really?

Take a walk around your neighborhood. 

Look at all the 1960s apartments that are around you. If you are in Bakersfield, Fresno, or Modesto, there will be plenty.

How many of those have A/C?  Unless it's a window unit or the building has been refab-ed = NONE.And just so you know.  The apartments don't require a certain size of windows.  They require two egress points, which even a small bathroom window would qualify.

Your neighbor chose this apartment.  I'm sure he selected it because it was cheap.  He knew what it came with when he rented it.  If it was inappropriate for his daughter, then he shouldn't have rented it.And don't exaggerate -- the CV does not have heat waves "most of the time".  It's COLD in the winter months.

No law requires AC.  

There doesnt seem to be any requirement that AC be provided, so yes, you can.

California does not have a state wide requirement to offer air conditioning so unless there is a local code there is no law that forces the landlord to provide one.

The tenant can purchase a window unit or portable AC unit if they want to.

Renting out a basement storage unit as a living area may or may not violate other building & occupancy codes, but that wasn't what you asked.

If this is your neighbor and not you, why are you worrying about it? Both the landlord and tenant are (presumably) adults capable of making their own decisions. The tenant decided that for the money this was his/her best housing option and the landlord is happy to allow the tenant to occupy his/her space in exchange for money, so why do you feel the need to intervene? 

Only certain counties in Arizona require AC in rental units.

If your neighbor wanted AC, he should have done his homework.  

A California landlord isn't required to provide air conditioning in any rental. If he does provide a cooling system that later fails, he is responsible for its repairs.  Just have your friend buy a window unit!   Just Google "CA landlord tenant law A/C"

Sure you can sign a lease for an apartment that doesn't have air conditioning.😉

The initial walk thru would show there is no AC in the unit.