Shawn asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 3 weeks ago

she/he/it wants. Why make it more complicated by adding the s? I'm fine with she/he/it want. ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Historical reasons. Some languages have 6 different finite forms per tense. The germanic part of English was simplified in the wake of 1066, when the upper class preferred normandy-french.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Because the verb is conjugated:

I want

you want

s/he, it wants

If you insist on saying "he want" you'll sound like your speaking English as a second language or you flunked elementary school.

• 3 weeks ago

The "s" is just the final remnant of a previously-existing full conjugation the same as in other European languages. Don't worry; in another hundred years or so even the "s" will have disappeared too.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

The change to the verb adds a bit of redundancy. You're complaining about that, but all languages have some redundancy in them, probably because it reduces the chance for errors in hearing or reading. English verbs actually have a lot less redundancy than most languages' verbs, although Chinese has even less.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

YOU might be fine with the wrong form, but it would be noted as wrong by reasonably educated users of English.  

In fact, you are making things more complicated for everybody else, because we then have to think: "Will he understand what we say to him? How can we make it very simple so that even he can understand?"

I form English content be usually might, but can you understand it?   Your way of thinking leads in that sort of direction, where people just say or write words they think are good, and hope that people understand.

The normal way, of adding 's' to verbs relating to he, she, or it, has been in operation for hundreds of years. Why do you think that your idea should be considered as 'normal'?

• 3 weeks ago

Not as complicated as a man trying to figure out women. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.