Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

How much would my 2003 Ford Focus cost to fix?

There was a severe engine fire 🔥 and I didn’t have 🧯 fire extinguisher so I had no choice but to wait for the flames to go out.

The fire roared and I called 911 but damage was already severe by the time the fire engine arrived.

The evaporator coils and radiator are completely destroyed, the bumper is melted, and the paint is seared in most of the front end. The alternator is ruined, the compressor is ruined, the engine is ruined the battery is ruined, the air intake box is ruined, the headlights are ruined, the fluid reservoirs are ruined, the power steering pump is ruined, the belt is gone, the fans are gone, the Main computer is gone, The transmission may or may not be ruined.

How much would it cost to fix the car? I know most of the interior suffered really bad smoke damage so it wont ever be suitable for a regular use car.? How much would the car cost to fix?

@Moron Fred:  Any car Can catch fire. And airplane. So long as a flammable aboard, always the potential. My Toyota did, the very  First vehicle I had that did.  And, I  once  had a Pinto...

Toy's are  over complicated, too many gas/vapor lines and return lines

If you bought a brand new one, that would be a better deal than fixing what you have.

Other answers are correct, you are most likely trolling, and of course the cost to fix the damage would far exceed the value of the vehicle.

For what just the parts would cost, you could buy a whole other Focus (probably a newer one).

• F

The car is worth about £500, the repairs would cost st least £10k.

The cost to repair will easily exceed the value of the vehicle . . . . . . . the only hope that it will ever see the road again is if someone could locate a similar car is good condition that was scrunched from the back, ie the front end is in good shape so all the parts can be transferred to the burned car.  The chances of finding such suitable 17 year old donor are miniscule.

Way more than it's worth.  

The car is worth about a grand in good running shape. 

You're crazy to want to fix an old POS that's burnt up that bad. Call an auto recycler to see how much it's worth as scrap.

It would cost more than the car is worth.

Without seeing the damage - I would guess that it would take somewhere around $15,000 to $20,000 to repair it back to functional condition, and that wouldn't be fully fixed - there would still be cosmetic issues, but the car could run and drive again. You'd basically be building a whole new car on top of the few structural components that are still there, and even the structural components are compromised from the heat. I doubt you would even be able to find a mechanic to take on this project even if you paid in advance.

It is clearly a total loss. If you had insurance coverage they'll pay you what the car was worth before the fire, and you can use that money to buy another 17 year old commuter car. Expect that settlement to be (significantly) less than $5,000

If you did not have insurance coverage then you're SOL just as if you had crashed it. You'd be insane to do anything other than have it towed to a scrap yard.

How can we guess the cost to repair? We can't. But I can assure you of one thing, it will cost more than the car is worth.