can a bank put a lien on my car if I don't have the title?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Depends. If it is a Cash loan, Unsecured,  they  would have to go through court and attach something--the car, a house, anything. If car is collateral,  their name Is on it, so. very easy.

If you "don't have title"; Who Does? Did you lose it? Never got it? Does bank or finance co have it?  If cash loan, you can get a replacement for $78.

Ref: I had a cash loan, the credit union's  name appeared nowhere on title. Only mine from day I bought car until scrapped.

• Phil M
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you borrowed money from them to buy the car they can, and most certainly already have. If you borrowed money from them and listed the car as collateral they can. 

• 3 weeks ago

The lender has the title until such time as you pay it off.    If you have it paid off you should have the title.   If you do not have a loan on it and you do not have the title then the car is not yours.    The bank can only put a lien on it if you use it as collateral for a loan but the bank would not lend you the money if you did not have the title in the first place.

• 3 weeks ago

If the Title is in your name and if you get a debt secured against the car, then yes. 

The paper title is simply a copy of what the DMV records show. So if you don’t have the title then the lien will show when you apply for a replacement copy of the title.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

No.  If the title isn't in your name, it's not legally your car.  If you mean the title is in your name but you don't have the physical document with you, yes they can.

There are only two ways anyone (including a bank) can register a lien against your property (including a car).  One is with your written consent, the other is by convincing a court of law.   There is no third option.

The first thing happens when you get a loan and use your vehicle as security on the loan, and your consent is printed as a clause in the finance contract you sign.  It says, in plain words, that you allow the lender to register a lien (oft called a mortgage) on your vehicle until the loan is fully paid off.  The lender will verify that you are the legal and rightful owner of the vehicle before lending you any money.

The second thing happens when you've clearly defaulted on your debts, and your creditor is taking legal action against you to recover what you owe them.  

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

They usually do that if you finance the car. And they keep the title until you pay it off.

If you mean can they do it for non payment, they usually have to sue you first.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Yes,they can.      

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If they have a legitimate reason to, yes. Anyone can if it is within the law.

• 3 weeks ago

If you don't pay the car note, the finance company (bank, loan company, etc.) can put a lien on it. They can do this even if you don't have the title. 

• CB
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Sure they can if you used it as collateral for something. Car mechanic can put lien on your vehicle if you don't pay them too..... 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.