Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 weeks ago

I'm writing a YA dystopian novel.?

I know dystopian novels are defined by their totalitarian governments, but mine will feature institutional oppression and systemic racism instead of a dictatorship. Will this still be considered a dystopian novel?

Sure. I've never seen a definition of "dystopian novel" that requires one to be set in a totalitarian country.

They aren't defined really up that kind of Goverment, it's just what writers have chosen to focus on so it became a trope and then a cliche. A dystopian novel is defined as:

A community or society that is undesirable or frightening. That can include fiction or non-fiction. There has been some dystopian events/places in history. Nazi Germany and the Holocaust or any actions by Christians or Catholics due to brainwashing and their attempt to create a “perfect” society under their religion so murdered countless people in order to bring about their idea of perfection. 

Oppression and racism are undesirable things even more so if they make the society cruel and dehumanizing and are often seen in dystopian. Have you ever read any dystopian novels because I'm surprised, if you have, that you'd need to ask this question. I love dystopian so good luck with it. x

Given that dystopian novels are not defined by their totalitarian governments, it's not an issue.

• Andrew

Dystopian: relating to or denoting an imagined state or society where there is great suffering or injustice.

There are brilliant dystopian novels that don't feature a totalitarian government. People don't need to have a government at all to make themselves miserable, but when it comes to suffering and injustice, governments are pretty reliable, hence the association in many people's minds.