Why did Dove shrink their bars of soap?

Has anyone noticed ?

Favorite Answer

UNILEVER, The company that bought out the former Dove owners have made many changes...not only to the size of the products, but the formulas. Noxzema is also one of the brands that UNILEVER took over.. in 2015, they changed the almost 100 year old Noxzema formula while having the audacity to flat out lie and write "original" on the label. Any long time Noxzema user KNOWS that is a flat out lie.

Companies are decreasing the size of the volume/size of their products and will keep the price the same as the larger size at first...then they will increase the price as the top executives draw millions of dollars in yearly wages.

Same with groceries. A pound of coffee (16 oz) in the coffee can is a thing of the past. First, the manufacturers put less coffee in the can, kept the price the same, then upped the price and later decreased the actual size of the can. Soon after, they put even less coffee in the can and raised the price again. I know this to be a fact with Chock Full O Nuts coffee because I reuse the cans and have the original cans and the down size versions.

Get used to product quantities shrinking and prices rising. The labels tell all.

I have used Dove soap for 4 decades. I just checked my stash and have two bars left,  weighing in at 4.5 ounces. I bed they are down to 4 oz or maybe even 3.75 oz by now, and cost more than what I paid for the 4.5 oz bars.

probably has a different parent company now that runs things a lot differently 

• bill

Everything is smaller these days.

• edward

No, i use the Dove Men+Care shower gel, not the bar of soap

To hold the line on price. Many makers of consumables, soaps, foods, etc do that. 

• Edwena

All bars of soap are smaller than they used to be.  When I was a kid, a bar of soap was a lot bigger than my hands.  It would slip out and fall every time I tried to take a shower.

It's the ol' grocery shrink ray again. Manufacturers do it to avoid raising prices, or else customers would start looking at other products. 

Or Pepperidge Farm products.  Or Entenmanns . . . . or my local Publix bakery that now "paints" the fillings on bakery.

• Olive

Never really noticed that. Hopefully dosent go down any more