Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 3 weeks ago

How can I break a stove so it can't be fixed?

I have lived in my apartment for over 10 years and the stove that was in it when I moved in was already old.  I know this sounds horrible but I want to break it to where it doesn't work and will have to be replaced.  Any easy way to do it?

Also the refrigerator.

• L

It sounds like the apartment owner bought good appliances that last a long time.

• John P

Nearly 20 years ago I took over a fridge that was thrown out because it had a couple of scratches.  It is still going strong.

• J P

Our stove kept breaking and the refrigerator was pretty old, so we replaced them. The new appliances are so cheap, we wish we'd found a way to have the stove fixed and stayed with what we had.

Yahoo Term's & Conditions require you to be at least 13 years old to have an account on this forum and based on the childish nature of your question I suspect you are in violation of that rule.

buy a new one that's a solution////

Should the damage be traced to you, keep in mind, you could be sued in civil court for the damages and, in many locales, also be charged with criminal destruction of private property. 

When they do furnished property on the cheap they do put crap in them because idiots sell them, if you break it and he thinks you didn't break it on purpose then he will put another crap one there, if he knows you broke it then you pay.

You can't harm anything that the landlord installed.  If you do, he can fine and/or evict you.

Break it and you have to pay for it.  Have you talked to the landlord about upgrading appliances?  

Fridges don't always come with rentals anyway, so just ask him to dispose of the old one for you so you can put a new one in.  Make sure it's in writing that when you leave the fridge stays with you.The stove is his responsibility.  Ask him about getting a new one.  In all cases here, realize that you may end up paying higher rent.  Many landlords do little improvements but also keep rent low compared to the market.

Or pay for it yourself