What's the difference between a caseworker and a social worker?

Hi. I'm just curious about this. A caseworker and social worker are both advocates that help people with personal business matters. My mother has her own social worker at the rehab center she's in. I have a S.S.A. caseworker at my local S.S.A. office.

Please help. Thank you.

2 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    The caseworker could be a licensed social worker depending on the job.

    Or like A. states, it's a partnering with social work.

    But a caseworker might not be related to social work.  Your caseworker is simply an administrative employee who handles your ss claim.

  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

    A case worker usually has a degree in a related field (could be anything from criminal justice to nursing) but they do not have a professional social work license.  They cannot provide therapy/counseling.  They are the person who connects the client with the services that they need (housing, job, mental health, medical care, etc.). 

    Social workers have a degree in social work and a state license to practice that profession.  They are actively involved in improving the circumstances of the client's life.    People who have an MSW degree (advanced degree) can complete additional training which permits them to diagnose and treat some mental illnesses. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.