alex asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 weeks ago

What do you think of the millions of men who dodged the Vietnam military draft?

Favorite Answer

When I did my Canadian Ranger (military reserves) training, my roommate had come to Canada as an American draft dodger.  He liked Canada so much that he wanted to "give back" by serving in our military (albeit, as a reservist).  He was a really interesting guy!

Many saw Vietnam as an unjust war, so, I can understand people not wanting to fight in it.  Defending your own country from attack is a different thing. I would think less of people who refused to do that, but, fighting for another country - that's a bit different.

• Cee

Millions, you say ? What millions ?

• Lili

It was a bad war, a quite stupid war, and we persisted at it long after we should have.  I can't blame people for refusing to go and finding ways out of doing so. I can't even blame Donald Trump, although I'm amused by Tammy Duckworth's calling him "Cadet Bone Spurs".

I do blame Trump for describing his efforts to avoid STDs as a young man as his "personal Viet Nam". That was highly inappropriate and an insult to the men who did serve and who suffered death, injury, or trauma.  And since he didn't serve, he shouldn't behave as though he's somehow superior to military men and knows better than they do on military matters.  When he does that, he's going to get pushback along the lines of the "Cadet Bone Spurs" sneer.

• ?

What do you mean by "dodged the Vietnam military draft"? Are you asking about legal exemptions? Are you asking about resisters who fled to Canada, Sweden, etc?

People are people and this begs the question to ponder why? "Understanding maybe half the battle?"

Gi-Joe!!!

what millions of men?

during vietnam, less than 4% of draft eligible men, were actually drafted

so that means 96% were not drafted

Cassuis Clay objected to the draft, based on the fact, that the US Gov't denied him equal rights,  yet expected him to go fight for that same gov't......that didn't treat him like the FULL HUMAN PERSON that he was.

He had solid legal reasoning and logic on his side........and in fact, his case went all the way to the Supreme Court.........where he WON- 

But before that happened.....he was stripped  (therefore illegally)  of his titles and ranking, and lost 2 years of his career in his prime, and any earnings he could have earned during that time. 

When he won his case and was allowed to box again.........he became the world Champ,   fair and square, despite the setback. 

So those saying he "dodged the draft"........No, he didn't......he CHALLENGED the draft..........and the Supreme Court  AGREED with him- 

So when Trump stupidly offered him a "pardon".........he didn't NEED any stinking pardon , because he won his case and his name was cleared. 

At the time, I would have supported the draft dodgers and the 'bone spur' cowards. Now, with hindsight and a more mature perspective on the world, I think everyone should do their duty, even if it is distasteful to them.. It is unfortunate that the duty imposed on so many young men was not better thought through by those in charge. It was never a just war so even those who went and put their lives on the line were not adequately respected on their return.

Cowards then you made the Coward Cassius clay who was also a cheat a liar and a thief a hero

Like Cassius Clay?