M asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 3 weeks ago

Is a pregnancy test accurate one week after missed period ?

I tested one week after the day I expected my period and it was negative. Still don't have my period. Should I bother testing again or would that be relatively accurate? 

In most cases, a women will have enough elevated HCG in her urine to show a clear result on a HPT a week after a period is due. These tests are pretty accurate. It is also fine to retest after at least two days after the first test because HCG is doubling ever 2-3 days in the first few weeks of pregnancy. You can also go get a blood test or see your ob/gyn.

You also have to consider when you had unprotected sex and how regular your cycles are. Many women's cycles fluctuate 3-4 days either way of "normal."  

If you are concerned, continue to take a HPT ever 2-3 days until you get a positive or your period starts.  OR contact your doctor.  There are other reasons for a missed period. 

• Jill

If another week has passed since the last test I would test again. Still negative? Believe it. There are other reasons a woman might skip a period besides pregnancy. 

A test is accurate 21 days after the last time you had sex.

A late period could mean late ovulation.  A period happens ABOUT 14 days after ovulation.  

Late ovulation would also mean a late positive test if you are pregnant.  But at 21 days after the last sex, a test is always accurate.  (especially if you use first morning pee which will have the highest concentration of pregnancy hormones.)

If you are still sexually active and won't have a 21 day break without sex, then test once per week until you either get a positive test or a period.