How should I explain this to my boss?

I just started a new job for a retail company. When I was interviewed and hired, my manager said I was going to work in my location I am in now. Recently, three times she asked if I could come in to cover and I didn't mind. The last time she asked I came in.

Recently, she said that she knew I was new but was wondering if I could go work at another store about three days ago. She then asked again for this coming Saturday if I could work at the other location so I can pick up my hours. 

I really am against traveling and do not want to. I want to work at my location like I was hired to do. I share a car with my family member and they have different working hours so I told my boss I am unable to travel. 

What can I do if they just sprung this on me all of the sudden?

Favorite Answer

You can answer the question honestly.  Explain to her the realities of your transportation abilities and how each time you have had to work at the distant store has been a problem for you but you did so out of your loyalty and commitment to the store, but can't make it a regular thing.  Your employer will identify your integrity by such an honest explanation.  Good Luck.

She hasn't "sprung" anything on you. Clearly the situation has changed, and she's just ASKING you if you can do this. If she doesn't ask, how can she know how you feel about it?

You should explain - as you should have explained the first time she asked - exactly what you've told us here: that it would be difficult if not impossible for you to work anywhere else as you have to fit in with the car-share arrangement.You never know. She might lay on a taxi for you, or come to some other kind of arrangement. The point is, if you keep saying No", and she doesn't know how you feel and what your objections are, she'll think you're just being unco-operative.

TELL her. Communication is the key to EVERYTHING.

you could always take a bus there

Another work related question, I see.  Your boss can ask you to work wherever help is needed.  Either explain things to your boss, find a new job or find an alternate way to work.