Military question?

Will glasses disqualify someone from a lot of jobs in the military? I want to do mechanical or electrical

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

no. you disqualify yourself.

• Cee
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Well, you won't make the sniper team, but there's plenty of other jobs for people with less than perfect eyesight.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It depends on how much your eye tests deviate from standard which is 20/20. If you can't pass state driver's tests without corrective glasses you will be restricted from the more critical jobs, pilots and special ops are two.

If you are asking about a repair technician, then if you can find your way to a bathroom without your glasses but with corrective glasses you can get a state driver's license you are probably OK.

• 3 weeks ago

Why? Also, you should be able to find out the details of this information? My advice is to get it from a creditable source. None of your typical BS!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Squid
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

As long as you're 20/20 with your glasses on, you'll qualify for all those sorts of jobs.  Pilots and specops are more restrictive.

• 3 weeks ago

Many jobs have specific physical requirements, including vision.  I was classified as V4.  You needed V1 to be a pilot, I believe V2 to be a navigator, and V3 for most jobs, including the ones in Combat Arms.  There were some trades (about 20? of the 80-odd ones in the Canadian Forces) for which V4 was fine.  v4 was the 20/40 corrected level.  No trades were open to V5, and V6 is actually blind, so, no trades open to them either.

If your eyesight can be corrected to 20/20  with glasses, you are considered V3, and most jobs are open to you, but, a few are not.  The biggest killer for electrical type jobs is colour vision, which must be CV1 to get the job.  Men, in particular, have a fair bit of colour blindness, and many were in my job simply because they were colour blind.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Depends on how blind you are with and without them.  

• 3 weeks ago

Not a lot of jobs,  but some jobs, for sure. 

• John
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

My DD-214 says related civilian occupation, Ordinance Mechanic. After I got out, I became an Electro-Mechanical Technician. No, reading glasses are needed. What strange bedfellows we sleep with, Shakespeare.

• 4 weeks ago

You are allowed to wear glasses for many jobs in the military as long as you meet the vision requirement (and color vision). 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.