Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 4 weeks ago

In what month are stocks usually the cheapest?

• 7 days ago

The cheapest stocks are not determined every month; it is rather, a daily or a weekly affair. So, for example, you can have daily stock updates which will indicate the cheapest stocks for the day. Or even weekly. The inaccuracy is significantly higher when it comes to a monthly update. This is because the market’s volatility is easier to track on a smaller scale like for a day or a week at a time.

I won’t say that it is impossible to know which is the cheapest stock of the month. However, I must alert you that it isn’t easy, even for market experts to say which month will have the cheapest stocks. I hope my advice helps you out.

Mark Twain Effect:  In some stock markets, the Mark Twain effect is the phenomenon of stock returns in October being lower than in other months.[1] The name comes from a line in Mark Twain's Pudd'nhead Wilson: "October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August, and February."[2]

The quotation is a sarcastic assertion that speculation in stocks is always dangerous. The fact that Twain specifically picks out October initially is taken as a reference to an "October effect", as exemplified by the 1929, 1987 and 2008 stock market crashes which roughly occurred in October.

• John

It doesn't work like that.

They tend to be higher at the beginning of the year, but that can be wrong, and this next year US stocks might plummet in the spring, due to how high they are now :-)   

• Steve

They say it is September, but that wasnt much the case by the looks of it. It has much more to do with what is going on at the time. Theres always a reason for good and bad days. Invest with the motion of the news.

• kswck2

No one knows, since economic factors change too frequently. 

Nobody knows.  But the end of the month is usually better time to buy than the beginning. Not always.  most of the time.  I have my auto invest set for the 28th and have for years.  Index fund.

Prices fluctuate all year round. You need to follow a particular stock to see its cycles.