What Size SSD drive do I need ?

I am about to purchase a new PC and plan on installing windows on an SSD drive, which would be purely used for the operating system all other files will be stored on a separate HDD drive.

So my question is what size SSD do I realistically need as I thought 250gb would be plenty but I've also been told that I need a minimum of 500gb

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

256gb is more than sufficient..........

• 3 weeks ago

If you are going with only OS on SSD then 250gbmore than fine is fine, If you are a gamer I would say 500gb is better.

I coould give a better answer if you had specified your usage, some people may even get away with less than 250gb.

• 3 weeks ago

You can go with 128GB or 256GB which so ever fits your budget as the windows only take around 20GB of your disk space then you realistically you are still left with plenty of space to install basic apps.

• 3 weeks ago

256gb is more than sufficient

Source(s): I build PCs for a living
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

According to my experience, 256GB SSD would be fine.

• 3 weeks ago

I would say a 250 GB SSD would be enough for Windows 10

• Shadow
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

Depending on what programs you intend to use and how much you intend to install on the main drive, a 250GB SSD should be fine however I personally would go for and have gone for a 500GB SSD. If you intend to run games, the SSD will need to be at least 500GB in order to store most of the games.

• garry
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

256 gig  is about the idea size unless you play alot of game or stream videos . 128 gig is small now days .

• 4 weeks ago

I have windows 10 on a 144Gig SSD drive with lots of free space.

• keerok
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It is a good idea to keep the OS and programs separate from your data. You can survive with 250GB with the most basic programs. If you do heavy graphics, serious video editing, or addictive gaming, you'll need more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.