why do some think that people of spanish descent are not white?

i'm a man in my 40's of spanish descent, my elderly father is from spain, my mother is from the isle of man and i was born in the british isles.....i encountered a strange person online the other day who thought i wasn't white, and i felt staggered and annoyed.......why would he think that???

I Don't know. I am not a racist like you.

Because Spain was conquered by African Arabs. How many times do people need to remind you of that?

If it bothers you so much, why even tell people your Spanish? You must be claiming some kind of blood line.

Seriously though, it's left over Anglican / Protestant reformation non-sense. The Roman catholic church doesn’t believe in race by skin color. Anyone who’s had Roman Catholic ancestors (including most of Spain) isn’t logically white. And yes, that does come from Europe … although Americans still push it a lot.

• Zirp

Because a lot of USAmericans, and their government, still pretend that humans come in races, and that "hispanic" is one of those races.

Ask them not us...My soninlaw is Mexican and he looks very light..

• Dv8s

You're Caucasian, and why would you care about what some idiot thought, let alone feel staggered and annoyed.  He may have said that to annoy you, but you allowed it to get under your skin and that's on you.  Isle of Man cool motorcycling track around the island.  If I were you I wouldn't give a ratsass what some dumbass thought.  Geographically, you're better than that, now act like it.