How many states would there be if the U.S expanded globally?

not that I think it's likely or feasible.

The old British Empires have done so and  already fall ruin in to pieces as we see. 

• John P

Indeed a totally idiotic question. By 'globally' I assume you mean that the USA takes over all parts of the world.

And even if it happened, the USA might want to divide up the world differently from how it is now divided.  There is nothing permanent about the present country structure. In the early 1990s, 14 new countries were defined in Europe, and a few more just outside Europe.

When Africa became decolonised in the 1950s, 60s, 70s, many new countries were defined.

Etc, etc.

A map of the world of 250 years ago looks totally different from present-day maps.   The USA did not get its present borders until 1867, and that is without considering minor adjustments along the Alaska Panhandle in 1903.

It has already--

Guam, Midway, Johnston, Baker, Howland, Palmyra, Wake, Kingman, Navassa Islands, reefs and atolls, American Samoa, Northern Marianas islands in the South Pacific, US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Aleutian Island chain of Alaska, Little Diomede,  military bases in Japan, South Korea, the Philippines, Diego Garcia in Indian Ocean, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Italy, Germany, the UK, Greenland, and quite a few other places means the US territories are around the globe.  And that doesn't count all the embassies in other countries, sovereign US territories inside the gates.  Oh, yeah.  Navy ships, especially aircraft carriers.  I am sure I left a lot out.  Oops, McMurdo Sound, Little America, Scott Station in Antarctica.

I guess there could be about 1170 states.  That's assuming that they keep the same average population the US has now (6.6 million per state).

Or if we use the median population of 4.5 million, then there would be 1692 states. Might have a hard time fitting all those stars on the flag, about 41 by 41.