Turntable/sound/music experts help!?

I recently purchased a bluetooth record player (a JAM one) however have decided i’d prefer to connect another set of wired speakers to it instead as there’s a delay with bluetooth. I bought a set of pc speakers off amazon which is supposed to connect using a USB and an AUX cable however i had to get adapters so the speakers would fit the back of the turntable. the back of the turntable has an output with a red and white aux hole and there’s also an aux input as well as a USB B hole. The speakers are still not playing the records and I think this is cause I need an amp? or a preamp? i’m really not sure so id appreciate any help i could get.

Favorite Answer

If the turntable has a built-in preamp, you should be able to use an aux cable between the turntable and speakers for the audio link, as you appear to already have.

But - The USB on the speakers is for power to them; plug that in to a USB power unit (phone charger) - the turntable USB is for a computer connection and cannot supply power to anything else.

USB powered speakers are not very good, you would be far better off with some that run from mains power (a wall socket).

If the turntable does not have an internal preamp option, then the phono outputs can only connect to a proper HiFi amp that has a dedicated "phono" input.

(Though that seems unlikely with a turntable that has internal electronics).

You need a pair of powered speakers with built in amplifier or you will need an amplifier. Bluetooth compresses the music to send it wirelessly. You are better off buying a turntable without blue tooth. 

Start all over with a real turntable,      

a receiver or amplifier with a phono stage built into it,      

and ordinary (passive) speakers.    

You are correct. My old stereo had a turntable connected to an amplifier connected in turn to speakers. My amplifier had a radio in it too. You can still buy them. 

The alternative might be to buy powered speakers. They have amplifiers built into them.