What is actual trolling, not what we call it today?

Nowadays anyone who disagrees with you is a troll, there had to be a better meaning at some point?

"Dallas is cooler than Austin"

-"GTFO TROLL! You stupid trolly troll."

7 Answers

Relevance
  • JuanB
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Trolling is a form of fishing that goes back centuries.  It is putting your fish lines in the water and drag them along behind the moving boat.

Everything else here is talking about Slang meanings.  So a better meaning is the non slang one.  But even in slang it fits you are fishing for suckers on the internet by baiting them.

• 3 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure that at some point there's been a confusion with the word "trawling".

• bill
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

Trolling is sitting back and making controversial statements to purposely upset people and get a reaction.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Trolling is a term invented in the era of social media, and similar.  30 years ago it did not exist, probably 25 years ago it did not exist.  

That sort of new term tends to go through rapid changes in use, as you have noticed.  Don't be an old fuddy-duddy and try to insist that it has a 'proper' meaning such as it had 20 years ago.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It used to mean a person who went from bar to bar, looking for women. But not having any success. So just dragging his net.

The term comes from fishing nets Being dragged along trying  to catch wherever comes into them.

Source(s): I'm giving you the real meaning, along with the slang term from the 1970s. I lived in that era.
  • edward
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

That’s not what trolling is

• Fin
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

So there's the internet troll which is to bait people with false information or exaggerated claims on the internet.  Basically it's duping someone.

However, originally, trolling was/is fishing with a baited lure on a slow moving boat.  Makes sense, when you think about snaring someone with a story. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.