Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 3 weeks ago

Kupperman?

As Kupperman (2007) states, there are important similarities between the ethics recommended by Upanishads and Dhammapada, but the concept of self that each assumes is very different. Explain how the self-concept on which each relies is derived by reconstructing Kupperman's (2007) argument. Then identify how the ethical guidelines that they both agree on are derived from their respective self-concepts. *Note that you need to mention by what name the self is called in each philosophy.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • j153e
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Contemplating the histories of the two systems is somewhat a step removed from their respective practices, which in good measure comprise a spectrum of awareness vis a vis Reality.

In simplest terms, Pali records indicate the Buddha was teaching neti, neti re Hindu materialism and mortal mindedness, while anchored in Atman.

In more Western framing, Parmenides' permanence is more like Upanishads' Vedantic Atman, and Heraclitus' constancy of change is more like Dhammapada's Dharma.

One approach affirms I AM or/and I Am that I AM, the second approach affirms the bliss of liberation from mortal mindedness and materialism.

Vedanta answers Kant's "Am I immortal?" by realizing man in God's Image, and Buddhism affirms the bliss of liberation from phenomena.

Over the centuries, the two traditions have mutually influenced each other.

Your instructor clearly is using Joel Kupperman's historical perspective at least as a framing, and perhaps only that, so suggest reading some of the main ideas and concepts therein, e.g., Atman and anatman.   In a history of great ideas curriculum, a few main or key ideas and their definitional (in the course environment) understanding are taught...and a few years later a typical graduate may be able to recall with confidence "Hindu = Atman, Buddhist = anatman," and more quickly and easily reacquaint herself with what Atman, etc. mean, should her work, etc. ask that.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Kupperman wouldn't want us to violate the basic ethics of this situation and deprive you of the opportunity to do this schoolwork yourself and prove to your professor that you are neither ignorant nor lazy. If you cannot do that, perhaps you should just drop the class if it is too much work for you to handle or beyond your ability to understand the content..  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.