Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 weeks ago

Can someone respond to this Twelfth Night question? Thanks?

Do we feel sympathetic towards Malvolio in the end or not? What is the purpose of this puritanical minor character in the otherwise festive comedy? Be as specific as possible in your explanations, using textual details/quotation to back up your points.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no right or wrong answer to such questions.  Do YOU think that Malvolio was treated badly by Maria, Toby, Andrew, Feste and that he should have his revenge? He was the butt of their jokes. Or do you think he acted so "I'm so superior to you louts" that they were justified in puncturing his pride? (After all, louts though they were, Sir Toby and Sir Andrew were Malvolio's social superiors and he was merely a servant.  Sir Andrew was a house guest and Sir Toby was cousin to the lady of the house.)

As to what role Malvolio had in the play. I always thought he was part of the comedy.  He was the kill joy character. He was deluded into believing he was on the same level as his social superiors. He acted out his delusion and was jailed for madness by his mistress. Quite a come down for his self-pride to be the butt of his inferiors' joke. Like a haughty man in a tuxedo slipping on a banana peel on a  muddy street.  You might disagree. That's good.  You prove your theory by what the story showed and I'll prove mine by my references to the story.

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Your teacher wants YOUR opinions - not ours.

Have you even read the play?  Have you seen it performed?

That's what you need to do.

If you cannot understand the play, talk to your teacher and explain that your intellect isn't enough to cope with Shakespeare and ask if you can go down to a lower class.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Your teacher expects YOUR answer, not ours. The only way out of this situation is to PAY someone for the time required to do your schoolwork for you.  That's how it works in the real world when you are unwilling or incapable of doing a job that has to be done. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.