Anonymous

Does a W (withdrawal) look bad?

I want to withdraw from a college course and Im wondering if one W looks bad? its seriously very useless and I regret taking it.

Favorite Answer

It looks a lot better than an F or D.  Of course, it depends on the context.  Generally, if you are trying to get into college/university or trying to transfer or get into a specific program, your GPA is really important and these academic admissions staff are going to look at your transcript.  One W is fine.  Having a lot of them suggests you have difficulty in applying yourself.  

Once you graduate from college, it is very unlikely an employer will actually ask you for a transcript.  They may not even ask you for your GPA.  

A "withdrawal" should look better than a D or F, either of which may really bring down one's GPA.

2 or 3 Ws over 3 or 4 years doesn't look bad.  I have a 6 withdrawals on 2 of my transcripts, but I have 3 bachelors degrees and not quite?2 master's degrees. 

• John

A few Ws over the course of 4 years of study does not look bad.  A number of Ws, however, might raise questions for anyone (a potential employer or a graduate school) reviewing your transcript.