Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Dog scared of basement ?

My bedroom is in the basement and i want my dog to come hang out and possibly sleep in my bed but she won’t. She did when she was a puppy but not anymore. Can I train her to go into the basement?

This is a common reason why animals can be scared in certain places like basements. I know of at least 3 dogs that are locked in the basement or garage and since are very scared of them. Thus they are no different than humans. Negative associations are probably associated with a traumatic event.

• Ana

Gemma Perl gave a smart answer and anyone who disagreed with it is stupid 

Call her while you are in the basement and when she comes give her a treat

First you got to figure out what she is afraid of down there & remove it.

Will your dog follow a favorite treat down? If not all the way, then maybe she would go one or two steps. Start with whatever works, repeat and slowly increase distance. 

Did your dog ever fall down steps? It might even have been when you weren't around. Or some dogs just don't like stairs. 

Depending on size of dog you could also try carrying the dog down the stair and check whether she minds that. Still take something she really likes and give it to her once you are down. 

Observe dog and don't force the dog to do something which makes her panic.