Can you get consistent hits ( 1moa) w/ a .308 at 1k yds? Even cold bore?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Mr.357
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

With a good trigger finger and good rifle and good ammo, probably.  I can only shoot 750 yds in my back yard and the local range only goes out to 838 yds.

• Robin
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I once had a 12” group so close but only once. Normally average a 3 moa at a 1000

• 3 weeks ago

Yes.  Just depends on the gun.   

• C T M
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

"I'm a much better shot online than I am at the range". - Author Unknown.

Source(s): I can produce a sub MOA group at 1000 yards with a 308, but it's only going to be a one shot group.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BBean
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

There`s just too many things that can affect a 1000 yard shot. Back up to 500 yards and consistency will be much better.

Do you realize the complexity of your MOA question? A minute of angle is said for simple figures 1" drop per 100 yards....close for figuring 100-200 yards. Simple for 1000 yards= 10"....not exactly true. Actually 10.470" The straight line of angle stays the same into infinity but the bullet drops over 330"-380" for a 168 grain .308. So putting 2 shots within 10 1/2" of each other(=MOA) is pie in the sky for even an expert marksman. Not even figuring wind deflection.

1 minute of angle at 100-200 yards is very good but 1000 yards is a much different story. Twice the yardage of 500 yards but 10 times the difficulty. The barrel temperature is a feature that changes things but there`s more than enough other elements to change things between muzzle and 1000 yards away target.

Several years ago I built a 1000 yard rifle but used .300 Winchester Magnum. Every day out...a different story. Not as easy as some make it out to be. 

• 3 weeks ago

The colder the bore the better.  The point of impact changes a bit after the barrel heats up and throws off scope settings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.