Can you get consistent hits ( 1moa) w/ a .308 at 1k yds? Even cold bore?

• Mr.357

With a good trigger finger and good rifle and good ammo, probably.  I can only shoot 750 yds in my back yard and the local range only goes out to 838 yds.

• Robin

I once had a 12” group so close but only once. Normally average a 3 moa at a 1000

Yes.  Just depends on the gun.   

• C T M

"I'm a much better shot online than I am at the range". - Author Unknown.

Source(s): I can produce a sub MOA group at 1000 yards with a 308, but it's only going to be a one shot group.
  • BBean

There`s just too many things that can affect a 1000 yard shot. Back up to 500 yards and consistency will be much better.

Do you realize the complexity of your MOA question? A minute of angle is said for simple figures 1" drop per 100 yards....close for figuring 100-200 yards. Simple for 1000 yards= 10"....not exactly true. Actually 10.470" The straight line of angle stays the same into infinity but the bullet drops over 330"-380" for a 168 grain .308. So putting 2 shots within 10 1/2" of each other(=MOA) is pie in the sky for even an expert marksman. Not even figuring wind deflection.

1 minute of angle at 100-200 yards is very good but 1000 yards is a much different story. Twice the yardage of 500 yards but 10 times the difficulty. The barrel temperature is a feature that changes things but there`s more than enough other elements to change things between muzzle and 1000 yards away target.

Several years ago I built a 1000 yard rifle but used .300 Winchester Magnum. Every day out...a different story. Not as easy as some make it out to be. 

The colder the bore the better.  The point of impact changes a bit after the barrel heats up and throws off scope settings.