Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 month ago

I was asked 'have you seen the earth from outer space?' and I had to answer 'no' ?

This individual, she insisted that the truth remains nobody can prove to anybody the earth is a sphere thats fixed in its position and held there by gravitational forces out in space.

She went to add nobody has been far enough out of the earths atmosphere to prove anything concrete.

She has dismissed high school physics as brain washing despite holding a major in physics and applied maths.

Either she has been brainwashed or we have.

in my position, how would you have responded to her question (which is in my question above) ?

Are photographs and film/video footage as taken by astronauts not proof? Or does she not believe that space flight by humans has taken place?

Has she not seen photos from high-flying aircraft which show the curvature of the Earth? 

I have a wide-angle photograph taken from a tall tower at the seaside in Spain, total height above sea level a mere 300 feet or so, which shows slight curvature of the Earth at the top, on the horizon.  Taken from the Torre de Hercules at La Coruna, on the north-west tip of Spain.

Taken purely as a tourist photo, not specifically to 'prove' anything.  Next thing beyond the horizon is the east coast of the USA, a bit north of Boston.

I'd have said, "you believe the earth exists? You must be brain washed." Fight crazy with crazy, I say.

• Amy

I would have responded by linking her to the documentary where flat-Earthers do an experiment and end up proving the Earth is in fact curved. You just have to shine a beam of light perpendicular to the ground, over a long enough distance that the curved ground drops away. Or you can just go to the ocean on a clear day and see that you only see the tops of ships in the distance. Same effect.

And then there's time zones. If the Earth isn't spherical, then how can the Sun be visible from Tokyo when it's midnight in New York?

18 people have been to the moon and taken photographs. Many other people have been outside the atmosphere and taken video. So have thousands of unmanned spacecraft.

Spacecraft have been to all the other planets. Accurately navigating to Pluto required our high-school physics ideas of gravity to be correct. I think that accurately navigating to Mercury requires general relativity (because it's so deep in the Sun's gravity well).

GPS navigation uses the precise distance to satellites in orbit around the spherical Earth. 

Your troll is right on one point: the Earth is not "fixed in its position". It's in a wobbly orbit around the Sun, which is itself moving through the galaxy, which is moving away from other galaxies.

"So far, it's all been turning out to be a pretty good guess every time they check the theory. Works for me."

Ask the woman what evidence she would accept as proof. I suspect that no amount of evidence will ever convince her. 

yes , lots of photos of it , cant afford to shoot up there , or dont you trust the pictures , do you .

From my perspective, going off all this information, she was challenging you to come up with your own solution. Could it be possible you misinterpreted this and she wasn't trying to convince you the earth is flat but instead trying to get you to convince yourself that it isn't? I mean, have you ever asked yourself why the earth is round? Further, if this is the case, you ought to think about it some more because you do entertain the idea of a flat earth, "Either she has been brainwashed or we have." Yes, the earth is a sphere and anyone can prove it in many ways, but don't just take our word for it. 

She is happy in her ignorance, so leave her to it.  She is entitled to her ignorance.  It does no harm unless she tries to force it upon anyone else.  

• Jim

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States ... nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

― Issac Asimov

She's sort of right -- nobody can prove anything to anybody. 

More: the earth is not fixed in its position.

high school physics is often brainwashing. It's not as absolute as most teachers make it out to be, and the teachers aren't aware of many new developments -- as for maths: most of the maths taught, even at university level is based on well-formed functions -- they don't teach chaos (non-well-formed-functions) theory until the very high levels!

Think of it as her trying to , well, you know....