Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

I don't have a passion?

I used to be so motivated all the time in high school. I didn't sleep much, but was full of energy. I went to work, made YouTube videos, & was so passionate about what I was talking about. After I got out of high school, all of a sudden, I lost my interest in things. It has been almost 2 years since I left high school, and all I do now is spend time on the couch. I moved out of my parents house and live with my boyfriend. I'm a very career-driven person, but I'm not passionate about anything anymore. Nothing seems to interest me. I always try new things and have had multiple jobs, but I don't seem to like anything. I tried to make YouTube videos again, but it always seems like I have nothing to say. I get up in the morning and I have no goals. I have nothing to look forward to. I don't want to do anything. Literally. Anything. I honestly don't know what's wrong with me. It's like I did a 180 and turned into this couch-potato-like person. I thought I'm depressed, but I don't seem to be sad. Any tips?

+ I also have no energy throughout the day. I'm always sleepy, even though I get plenty of sleep. 

^ Since I live alone, I try to do productive things like clean the house, cook meals, read books, study something, but everything seems boring to me. I'm genuinely concerned because this is not how I was like 2 years ago. 

It's very possible to suffer from depression without feeling sad. I think I should mention that there's a variety of illnesses that have fatigue as a symptom, and that, along with the possibility of depression, is a good reason to see your doctor.

You can take a depression screening test online, such as CESD R. A screening test doesn't diagnose. It's purpose is to spot people who should be seen by a doctor for diagnostics.

Treatment usually begins by seeing the GP, who can give you a physical and a referral. I mention referral because just a bottle of pills is not a very good approach.

The things you'd want to tell the doctor are how you feel at different times of day, any symptoms you might have such as change in appetite or sleep, and things in your life affecting how you feel.

If you're depressed, I can't tell you exactly what you need. There's no one size fits all solution. I can tell you though that there are healthy lifestyle choices that can enhance the effects of the standard treatments with office visits. This has details - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEM_jlDRZI

Youtube thumbnail

Some therapists have begun working on the phone. You can call your doctor and ask about this. 

Legally, a therapist can work over the phone with anybody in the same state. Some insurance companies cover phone therapy. You can use the Psychology Today Find a Therapist feature to get a list of therapists in your state, find out who’s working by phone, and what kinds of problems they specialize in.