Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 3 weeks ago

How do Managers of their business go on vacation and leave business?

Okay, so I don’t mean corporate general business managers, but small business managers that do not have an assistant manager or even employees possibly. 

More specifically, like a laundromat. If you own an unattended laundromat and are the manager and owner-operator without any employees, how do you leave it behind while on vacation? 

Somebody has to empty the change from the machines, ensure the janitor cleans daily, and that the machines are functioning properly. 

My boss sent brought in a new manager trainee to take my spot on my vacation. But really, my staff could have handled it without him or me.  

• Jay

For my business I am able to let customers know in advance that I will be out of the office from DATE to DATE and will not be accepting any calls or doing any work until I return.

I generally take the same time off every year....it gets slow July- August.  So it is easy for me to send out post cards, then follow up...and then a week before I will make calls..."Ben, The office is going to be closed from July 25 to August 10th this year.  Do you have any projects that can't wait until August 10th?'

The nice thing is...if someone tells me in advance they have a huge project, I can reschedule my time off.

When the dry cleaner around the corner from me...when the owner and his family came down with flu a couple years ago...they closed the business for 2 weeks and had a sign in the door for people to call a number if they had clothes to pick up.

Either you close it until you get back or you get someone to take care of it for you.

You can easily get someone to do that while you're away, a friend.

it's unlikely that you will be successful if you have no employees in this type of business.

- what happens if you get into a minor car accident and have no backup?

the laundromats in my area don't use cash anymore