Car won't start?

I was in my car between classes at school and had the ignition turned one click so that the radio would work; after about 30 minutes I tried to start it and didn't hear it try to turn over. The lights in the car still were on and I didn't see a battery light come on. My car locked when I used the key fob as well. I noticed a few lights flickered just a little but upon trying to start it. Any thoughts on if its a dead battery or something else?

The car is a 2015 and has about 85k miles on it

• k w

you had a weak battery and did not know it, so invest some money at your local NAPA dealer or have a trusted mechanic jump start it, then charge it for you overnight.....AND test the battery as well.....and never just use the battery to play the radio, it'll leave you stranded.....

Battery guaranty is for 5 years and it is that time.  The battery is the easiest to replace so that is where I would start and get one from Wally that is the size for your car. (not smaller because they are cheaper)  Get what the car requires....about $100.  that is all.

The battery light only comes on when the alternator isn't charging.  Radio and lights will work with less than 12 volts, but the car won't start.

Burned out starter?  Burned out starter fuse?   Bad starter solenoid?    Battery drained down to the point it can not turn over the engine?    Since you turn the key on and had it on for 30 minutes I would start with the battery.   Put a charger on it and see what it reads.  While you are doing that you can check the age of the battery.   I replace mine every five years simply due to age.   If the battery is OK,  flip the charger to boost start and see if the car starts,  if it does,  then it is the battery,  you drained it down too much so need a new battery.   If the car does nothing when you try to start it then check the starter fuse.   If that is OK then suspect something a mechanic has to fix,  such as the solenoid or starter itself. 

• ?

Here's a good rule to remember: If you can jump start it, and if the battery is older, it's probably the battery.  If jump starting it has no effect, it's most likely something else, oftentimes the starter.

Dead battery. Replace it if it's more then 4 years old.