Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Inviting a celebrity to your church?

My church is in a high-profile location in a large city, and plenty of celebrities live nearby; two blocks away is a strip nicknamed "Billionaire's Row".  (There are plenty of middle-class, average people like me in the church; the billionaires don't come.)

One celebrity, a singer who has had lots of number one songs in the UK, bought an apartment a few blocks away.  The singer is overtly Christian.  (News articles describe both things.)

The singer hasn't had any songs that I've heard of for about 40 years, but apparently in the UK, Canada and other countries, the singer has continued to have hits.

I think that it would be neat to invite the singer to come to church; the church is a denomination that has a lot of churches in the UK, so it may be familiar to the singer.  And the singer is older, as are a lot of members of my church.  My church has had plenty of celebrities appear for services every now and then- Presidents and a few others.  One guy who sits behind me in the pews on Sundays is, as I discovered, a world-famous celebrity who doesn't say much of anything and dashes in and dashes out.

But how do you invite a celebrity to church?  Through the "Contact Me" box on the singer's website?  By leaving a note with the receptionist in the singer's apartment building?  By letting the church do the inviting?  Or is inviting a stranger, even a celebrity, to your church considered stalking and thus crazy and unwelcome?  

Thanks.

My church has plenty of scientists in it- it's pretty left-wing, too.

Favorite Answer

This is a bad idea, encouraging a lack of humility for all involved.

IF YOU KNEW THE BIBLE YOU WOULD KNOW GOD SAID THE PEOPLE ARE THE CHURCH, NOT SOME FANCY BUILDING WHERE NO ONE KNOWS GOD.

• EddieJ

What I get from your post is that you need to seek help from a mental health professional.  Make an appointment and show them the post.