abcdef
abcdef asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

How to make the crust of Dutch-oven bread more chewable?

I have made a bread in my Dutch oven twice now.  The first time was great but this time, the crust is almost unchewable although the crumb is quite good.  I followed the recipe the same both times.  Why did the crust become so tough?  Any suggestions?  The recipe says no kneading is necessary.

Favorite Answer

For a few short minutes before the crust forms, steam inside the oven also helps contribute to a nicely textured crust. To create steam, fill a spray bottle with water and spray the loaves 2 to 3 times during the first 10 minutes of baking or until a crust has formed

• kswck2

I would spray the loaf a couple of times with water while cooking. 

• Goerge

Humidity plays a part in cooking so while my no-bake chocolate peanut butter oatmeal cookies may be perfect one day, the next day they may not harden correctly. The day you made them it could have been more or less humid and the ambient temperature also plays a role. 

The recipe suggests no kneading is necessary. There's no reason to offer up the recipe because that would simply offer context that could help us. Regardless of that, you do have to stir it. And that will create the bonds formed by gluten and more stirring can result in more chew. 

More than likely your bread was too dry and while the inside was able to retain it's moisture, the outside become gross. Your oven may also have fluctuated in temperature, due to the ambient temperature more than it did last time. Get an oven thermometer that you have properly calibrated to keep an eye on that. 

This is apparently only the second time you made bread and the first time I made bread, it was a brick and over the decades I have gotten better and have learned from my mistakes because we could follow the same recipe but I used a little less flour because I know how the dough should feel and I used a different brand of yeast. Did you proof your yeast? That was in fact my biggest problem is that I added too much flour. As time goes by the flour absorbs more moisture so the stickyness goes away with it too but I was trying to rush that process. 

Why? I think time and experience will tell you the more you get to know YOUR bread, the better it will be. That's why it's called the culinary arts, because cooking is not an exact science and while we do have to follow some rules, like adding enough salt to keep the yeast in check, it is an art that improves over time as long as we learn from our mistakes. 

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/caramel-pecan... is a recipe I have been using for about a decade now but these days I have modified to such an extent that it no longer resembles the original recipe. For the filling, it asks for 2TB of butter. I use nearly a cup of butter but also some margarine. I also use much more brown sugar and a LOT more cinnamon. The result are these pillowy soft cinnamon rolls that are ooey gooey and so delicious. And that didn't happen overnight. 

Lower the temperature by about 25 degrees and bake with the lid on for longer.

If it is still harder than you want if you are pre heating your Dutch Oven don't the next time and see if that helps.

Check out Pastries Like a Pro blog and search for her version of the Overnight bread.