Why do they call Los Angeles (LA) the city of angels?

I live in England and i've never been to America but this is something i've been wondering since i found it out

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

LA is short form of Los Angeles. 'Los Angeles' word come from Spanish language. In Spanish, "Los Angeles" means "the angels".

• 2 months ago

Because Los Angeles is Spanish for the angels.

• 2 months ago

Angeles is the Spanish word for angels.  In Spanish, "Los Angeles" means "the angels".  The place was originally named "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula," which means "The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of Porziuncola."  However, that name was too long, so it was shortened to just Los Angeles.  It was originally named for just one person -- the queen of the angels -- and the full original name indicates that the angels were not there and were in Porziuncola.  However, the shortened version is "the angels", which gives the impression that it means that angels are in the city, even though the full name says otherwise.

• Foofa
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The full name of this village is "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula", or in Ingles, "The Town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels of Porciúncula.” "Porciúncula" means something like "little portion". This monicker was affixed by Spanish priests as this entire area was wrested from the Natives by the Spanish Empire. "Los Angeles" is a shortening of the longer name and "City of Angels" is akin to NYC being called "The Big Apple" or Paris being called "The City of Lights". 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Los Angeles is Spanish for "the angels".  The original settlement was El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles (The town of Our Lady, Queen of the Angels)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.