Does MP3 or lossless files sound better on CDs? Why?

Mp3's are not lossless.  CD will always sound better.

• Lance

It depends on what CD player...Really it depends on the DAC and build quality...Many Hi-Res players now adays have excellent DAC's  and also good circuity so they can do a really  good job with playback...Many modern CD players also have excellent DAC's ...To be a good CD player it must have a good DAC stable transport system and also a good clocking mechanism...If it has all that it can sound really good..better than a cheap MP 3 player...So a lot has to do with how well built your music player is what ever it might be and the quality of your music files in the first place. Lossless files will sound better of course on a good system because that is what they are designed for.. Also what other player your comparing it to and also how your using it and what other equipment might also be involved in your playback system.

They sound the same. CDs can be scratched and memory cards sometimes have hiccups when feeding data to the players so you may hear drop outs or noises on either a CD player or MP3 player. How good the music sounds depends on the sampling rate and whether there is lossy compression. New MP3 players support lossless file formats including WAV files, which are the same type found on CDs. I have never owned an MP3 player before but I dropped my portable CD player and it stopped working so I shopped for a replacement and I settled on an MP3 player because it supports lossless file formats. 

Lossless.     

Because it is lossless. 

MP3 throws away digital information that would otherwise preserve full sound quality. 

Lossess codecs retain And Use all of the information generated 

from an original analog-to-digital conversion.     

• Olive

Lossless is better cause theres no quality loss in the music process making exactly as was intended to be

Lossless should sound better. MP3 is a compressed format so some of the original data has been dropped. With lossless, everything in the original is still present. Once it has been removed, it can never be put back.

In reality, modern audio reproduction tends to be such low quality that it can be impossible to hear the difference between lossless (e.g .wav files) and MP3. Another complication is that MP3 is a designation that covers a wide range of sample rates, ranging from the barely acceptable to the very good. People with software to produce MP3 files will probably be aware of the options.

Due to ageing and various abuses of my ear drums, I am less able to hear the difference between MP3 and lossless digital music these days but I can still hear the clarity, warmth and dynamic range of analogue music. If you have never heard it, you won't appreciate what is missing from some digital recordings.