Why do some laptops have microSD slots?

I was reading a review of a laptop and it said that the laptop includes a 'microSD slot (up to 256GB)'. However, I was under the impression that microSD slots applied only to devices like tablets and phones, and as a means of expanding their storage?

Plus, given that some laptops also have SD card slots, what is the distinction between the two and their respective purpose?

Most laptops and computers come with built-in SD card slots to accommodate SD memory cards. The SD memory card is a portable storage device that is used by many electronic devices, including cameras, media players and music players.

• Lv 7

microSD is nothing more than a storage medium, like USB Flash Drives and DVD drives.

you can use them on any device with its slot.

the first to use them was actually digital cameras (for photos).

then mp3 players (before smart phones).

but they use the same memory as USB flash drives (flash memory), so can be used to store any files.

microSD is just a miniaturized version of SD, they work the same and they are present on ultrabooks(ultra compact laptops).

• keerok

That's a built-in card reader for transferring files. 

Personally, I'd go for a full-sized SD slot. More flexible. At least with it, I can use an adapter if ever I need to use it with a microSD card.

• Bill-M

1. To save room on the smaller laptops.  Full size SD card Reader will not fit on the slim line laptops.

2. A means to transfer files from your tablet/pone to the laptop.

It is so that they can transfer files directly from a microSD card into the computer without having to use a cable, transfer software, etc. Makes it easier to move pictures, music, etc. from your camera or phone to your computer.

You would not use the microSD for storage or anything on the PC itself.  It is just for any easy way to transfer files.

• cmac'm

It's for convenience. Many people transfer files to their computers from their cameras or other devices.

SD cards are on there way out--they are getting old--  even though 3 of my cameras still use SD cards

Most new cameras are using microSD cards now. Hence, it's for people who like to move media...not for extra storage space on your laptop