Any chance of an electrical fire with my NOCO G15000 charger if I leave it charging a battery overnight, and how long should it take?

Charging a maintenance  20HR 65Ah  6 cell 12V battery that has been connected to my NOCO charger for more than 5 hours. I had the battery charger in 12V 1.5A maintenance mode after I accidentally selected the mode for lithium battery. I've already topped up each cell with filtered tap water just barely touching the bottom of each cap. 

Can I leave it charging like that overnight?

Update:

I also saw all this crud on the plates when I looked through the holes. 

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

    Yeah you are supposed to use distilled water only. Too late now though, doesnt really matter. And you can probably leave it hooked up indefinitely. I dont understand the science behind it, but "float charging" a battery involves giving it a very small amount of charge, and the battery will stay around 13.2 volts. I can leave a battery hooked up to a float charger for 1 year straight and nothing will happen. I am currently sitting in a car that has been hooked up to a float charger for a week straight. All it does is float the voltage at about 13.2 volts which is similar to what it would be at if you were driving around and the alternator is charging the battery. The risk of electrical fire is extremely low but I dont understand the design of the charger so I dont know exactly. You might be able to sue the company if the charger starts a fire.

  • L.N.
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    You should be using distilled water, not filtered tap water. Filtering, unless via reverse osmosis, does not remove minerals from the water which is what damages lead acid batteries. 

     

    The chance of an electrical fire is never zero, but is is pretty darn tiny. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.