Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited KingdomOther - United Kingdom · 2 months ago

Are English obsessed with American culture?

Favorite Answer

I don't know about obsessed but there's definitely some American influence over there lately. I have friends abroad in the UK and they say they commonly watch american tv, movies, notice people starting to use more and more american slang etc. 

There is nothing special about U.S. exceptionalism -only they think they are special.

.The British can't follow you because of your weird accents.  So they don't bother.

• Ludwig

No.  That is why you buy our comedy programs and watch the BBC news.

I'm retired from the USAF and married to a Brit from the west country of Somerset.  Thru my AF career we were stationed in Belgium, USA, Berlin before & after the wall fell and finally in CA.  Ever since the Revolutionary War "1776"  Americans has considered Brits their "cousins" because of emigration.  You can walk down any US street and find someone with English, Welsh, Scottish, and Irish ancestry.  I know Americans who live & Love the UK.  This in addition to the close kinship between the UK and USA from WWI & WWII has made for a "Love Relationship" between the cultures.  American TV shows appear on Brit TV screens.  BBC/ITV/other UK channels appear on US TV screens.  On PBS Sunday Evenings 2-3 UK comedy shows are on every week.  And who didn't fall in love with Downton Abby....Right now I'm an avid watcher on Sunday afternoons of BBC's "Poldark".  And remember, Our beloved "All in the Family" with Archie Bunker, came from a British  TV show.  The show came about when Norman Lear read an article in Variety magazine on Till Death Us Do Part and its success in the United Kingdom.[

• F

No I wouldn’t say obsessed. We are exposed to it a lot via TV and films and some impressionable teenagers and sad adults think it’s cool to speak the lingo but most people aren’t obsessed. If anything it’s the other way round with dumb Americans who think Britain is a village and everyone knows each other.

Not many people over the age of 30 are obsessed with American culture.  However our youngsters generally are interested in American comedy tv shows.  We're knee deep in culture here in the UK.

Absolutely not. Americans are obsessed with us.

• miffy

Most English people are not obsessed with US culture.

We do however find US  culture highly amusing.

Obsession No 34 if it was true the Poms would be doing nothing else but working on the Stupid Obsessions

Note What Culture I don't believe they have any ?

I am waiting with eager anticipation for No 35 Obsession I am sure you can find another one this week

I hope not and hope they're smarter than that. They can have the Kardashians if they want though. 

Some are. Not all of course.