Goji Fan asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

Can heavy weight lifting and HIIT cardio give you an edge in martial arts by naturally enhancing your strength, speed and stamina?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, they are quite helpful in martial arts training. They do increase strength, speed and stamina. I see that we have ignorant trolls who deny these facts. Speed depends upon being very fit, strong for your size and having low bodyfat. Food supplements are useful.

• 1 month ago

Heck yes, they sure as heck do. Martial arts need such supportive exercises. Weightlifting makes you a lot stronger and a body covered with hard and thick muscles is like armor. Being strong and having low bodyfat make you fast. Cardio increases your endurance. Still other exercises are needed to improve your balance, coordination, flexibility, etc. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, they are quite helpful in martial arts training. They do increase strength, speed and stamina. I see that we have ignorant trolls who deny these facts. Speed depends upon being very fit, strong for your size and having low bodyfat. Food supplements are useful. EDIT: I see that Khan copied my answer. Should I be flattered or not?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes, it is the best method there is to improve in martial arts

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bon
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Strength and stamina is possible to be improved, but speed is function of proper technique in terms of physical and mental tecnique. Weight lifting and any cardio is not going to directly improve your speed or more accurately the quickness of your response.

Speed in martial art is not just about how fast you can actuate your muscles and perform a move. It is more to do with how fast you can recognize the threat and respond.  When we train for speed in martial art, we are training not really about moving faster, but reacting sooner. Because no mater how fast your muscles are, if you cannot recognize the threat or form of attack, you cannot react so the one you don't see is the one that gets you regardless of how fast you are.

In terms of physicality of speed, proper technique allows for economic (non-wasted) motion. The economy of motion means you are not wasting time and energy doing things that has no bearing to the purpose of the technique. To achieve this you also have to be relax so you are not fighting yourself when performing a move. Tension means resistance and if you were for example throw a punch and tension your arm only robs you of speed. There are many other things that factor into proper techniques, and all of them optimizes your motion.

In terms of mental influence on speed, the mind has to be settled and not be thrown into tension or influenced by extraneous thoughts such as fear, doubts, anger, etc.  You will have those emotions - that cannot be helped. But to be able to function and defend yourself despite those emotions takes mental training. The mind must also be trained to recognize quickly when and what kind of attack is coming and your responds must occur at reflex speed.. It has to be able to do this reflexively and not consciously because conscious respond and control will always be too slow.

• 2 months ago

Yes. Conditioning yourself to be as physically fit as possible gives you a great advantage in the world of martial arts. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Congrats!!!

You have asked this question to the level of TROLL!

Here some food for thought...The question asking if heavy weight lifting and HIIT cardio give you an edge in martial arts by naturally enhancing your strength, speed and stamina. No it can not naturally enhance anything because lifting weights is not natural.

And if you add any supplements to enhance your diet, again this is not natural. So again false narrative.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.