Michael asked in HealthOptical · 2 months ago

Should prescription sunglasses have a magnifying effect?

With my ordinary pair of eyeglasses, I am able to see better but there is no distortion or magnifying effect.

However, I with prescription sunglasses, I see a noticeable magnifying effect.  Is this normal for prescription sunglasses?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Glasses (no matter whether sun glasses or normal glasses) have a magnifying effect if you are far sighted. Basically they are reading glasses. 

It doesn't sound like the two pairs of glasses have the same prescription. If that is not what you wanted, it sounds there has been a mistake. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No it's not normal! 

• T J
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Take them back to where you got them and talk to the Doctor.

• k w
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

nope, return them for a refund and go to another place.......

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Prescription sunglasses ought to have the same visual effect as equivalent regular glasses.  the lens shapes ought to be identical, unless the two sets of glasses were made to different prescriptions (not made at the same time).

However, some people perceive the polarization effect as a form of magnification when it isn't.  Polarization eliminates glare and makes images seem sharper because the scattered light is filtered out.  This effect is pretty obvious even in a non-prescription pair of high-quality sunglasses.  Cheap sunglasses don't do that usually, which is why people will but expensive sunglasses instead of cheap ones. It isn't always about style or brand.  Good sunglasses make images seem clearer by eliminating glare.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.