Name an example of a hydrocarbon that you rely on. Is it a gas, liquid, or solid at room temperature? And Why?

• david

I have a propane grill.  a gas at room temp and pressure -- but is sold in tanks at higher pressure so it is a liquid.  ===  Why?  low molec. mass and low intermolecular attraction forces so the molecules do not attract and form a liquid.

• Zirp

most humans rely on sugars and starches for energy.

They are solids at room temperature.

There is no why

Let's see.  I don't own a car or any other internal combustion engine.  My kitchen is all electric.  My electric utility gets its energy from hydropower and geothermal sources.  So I suppose I rely on the trucks that deliver food to my grocery, and most of them are fueled by diesel, which is a liquid.  Diesel is a liquid at room temperature for the same reason water flows downhill -- because that's the way things are.

[Although it can be argued that diesel is not strictly a hydrocarbon.]

Wait -- I do use cigarette lighters which contain butane, which is certainly a hydrocarbon.  (Although I hesitate to say I rely on it.  Matches would work just as well.) Butane is a gas at room temperature and atmospheric pressure. (Although it is a liquid when pressurized inside the lighter.)  The reason is that butane's boiling point at atmospheric pressure is -1°C, which is below room temperature.  And in general it is a gas because it has a relatively low molecular weight.