Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicLyrics · 2 months ago

How do you get ownership of your music? ?

I am thinking about recording music but I am so afraid to upload it on soundcloud. Because I am afraid that someone will steal my lyrics. Is there anyway to get ownership of your lyrics or songs? 

Download songs for free from https://muzup.ru/

You have it copyright.

You copyright it.

Make sandwiches for your grandma

It's this new thing called a copyright.  A song is owned by whoever paid for the copyright, not who created it.

There is no such thing as an automatic, assumed or moral copyright.  If you release a song and someone else copyrights it before you do, they own it.

You have to go to a Notary Public.  You have to give them a copy of the song.  You have to make sure there are no stolen lyrics from any other musician ( this is required) it prevents plagiarism.  They will Xerox it off, and file it.  They will then have you sign and date your song, stick it in the mail, and send it to you.  This way you have proof that the song is yours. You get the original, they get the copy.

• Tony B

Unless you sell or give the copyright to someone else you already have ownership of your work. You don't need to do anything. There is no process involved called “copyrighting” - you already own the copyright.

You could waste your time and money “registering” your work (as someone else suggests) but that won’t give you anything you don't already have and will do nothing to prevent anyone from using your work illegally.

If someone did use your work without permission than you would need to take legal action against them and prove that they were using something that you had created first. I'm no expert when it comes to the various platforms that people use to promote their work (like Soundcloud) but I‘d have thought that posting your work there would demonstrate that it existed at the time it was posted and anyone who stole your work would obviously only be able to use it AFTER the date is was posted by you. Therefore posting it would provide proof that it was your work.

Like I say though, you can't stop anyone from stealing your ideas. All you can do is prove that they have done so and take action against them.

copyright it

https://www.trademarkengine.com/services/copyright...

plenty of info online- just be careful of scams- research well

You can't, famous musicians get their lawyer to ask for royalties when someone else does a cover of their song but they can't stop anyone copying it. People only ask permission when they would like it, sometimes they would prefer the blessing of the original artist but they don't need permission legally and can go ahead even if they don't like it. You can't stop anyone copying it or using it, you can take action after they do and then your only recourse is claiming most of their profits from it, you can't make them stop distributing it.