Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

Do English bridles and reins exist that are made of a similar type of leather to harness leather?

I know this sounds a bit odd, especially since refined English show tack is quite a bit different from the sturdier Western working tack, but as I was going through some of my Western stuff, I was admiring the super nice, buttery soft feeling of my Hermann Oak harness leather reins and since I'm primarily an English rider these days, began to wonder if a similar feeling type of leather exists in English tack. You know, that "raw" for lack of a better word, undyed leather that doesn't have any sort of a color corrected/painted finish and has a really nice soft feel to it, yet is super durable and doesn't seem to wear or crack? 

I know thick harness leather is likely too coarse for English tack, but was wondering if there was anything in the English world I haven't come across that has that similar soft but durable feel. I know French leather is known for its softness, but a lot of it does not seem very durable and seems to have that almost painted finish. 

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

There are English bridles with softer leather, of course, but I don't know how your HO feels so I don't know if they're THAT soft.

Have you thought of taking a pair of HO reins and converting them to English reins?  It's not hard, and good saddle repair place could probably do it for you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.