Employer from Craigslist job refusing to pay?

My buddy and I found a Craigslist moving job that paid cash. Job was a 2-3 week trip to drive across country and move a few houses. 

When we got home the employer has been refusing to pay because one of the customers weren't happy (not at our own fault, she was ripping them off and they could tell and didn't want to pay extra). Now she's blocked our numbers and has new adds on Craigslist. 

What should we do? 

We plan on calling the labor board and filing with them, as well as the BBB and IRS to report all the shady things she does / has done. But will the California labor board make her pay us, even if we never signed any paperwork? Or do we have to go to small claims court because it sounds like a personal matter? 

And is getting paid cash considered tax evasion even if you plan on filing it 1099?

Thanks for any info you have, this is in ventura County, California. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • JZD
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's plainly a scam. Sue her in the small claim court.  You are not an employee and she is not your employer. Its exactly the same as if you refused to pay your plumber. You'll need her address. 

Source(s): I'm a lawyer - altho' not in Calif.
  • 2 months ago

You report the cash on your 1040 at year's end.  You have to sue her, this i nto a labor board issue, she is not your employer, you are a contractor.

• Yeti
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You're probably going to have to sue in whatever court is appropriate for where the agreement occurred.

And I don't know that you'll hear anything from the places you're making complaints. The BBB isn't even a government agency and they field complaints from customers interacting with small businesses, not those hired via Craigslist posts.

• Kieth
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Contract your state labor board.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Congratulations, you just got scammed.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.