Unemployment ?

Hello. I work for an event planning company. Since April I have worked very few hours. For example, there have only been 4 weeks where I worked over the 32 hour threshold and did not qualify for Unemployment benefits in Colorado. My boss informed me today that he has a five week assignment starting next week, upwards of 40 hours a week. After those five weeks, there are no scheduled events until March, so I will have to go back on unemployment until then (unless I am hopefully able to find another job or find something temporary). Should I certify for benefits for the five weeks that I work and do not qualify? Or should I just not certify for benefits those weeks and reapply for unemployment once the five weeks are up and I have no more work?

Yes, you may file UE benefits due to employment coming to a halt as your boss told you; apply the minute your not working and not prior to that time. Get yourself ready Submit as soon as your able so you can receive the benefits and start looking for work as this is a requirement of UE benefits.

You DO NOT apply for unemployment benefits for the weeks you worked, or you will be charged with fraud and made to repay all that money, promptly.  Only IF you repay it all promptly, they "may" choose to not charge and imprison you but it's a sure bet if you do not repay the money you fraudulently applied for and took, knowing you were not entitled to it.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

i would talk to unemployment about it

You cannot legally apply for benefits for the weeks you work. You stop filing, then after that project is completed, reapply.

• James

Every warehouse I do work in has a hiring sign posted out on the front lawn. Take a look around and you can literally see all the employment opportunities surrounding you