My bike runs fine when cold once it warms up it idles very high when I rev it doesn't return to idle. Then bogs and refuse to start.?

please help. I sprayed wd40 around the intake and there doesn't seem to be any leaks. The bike was fine and this just suddenly started to happen. Im not sure what the problem is. The air filter isn't on at the moment but before it was running fine with the air filter off. 

Forogot to mention its a 2 stroke honda cr80 1998

Homer buff skill ill give it shot. Ill see if that solves the issue

Thanks for the advice

Favorite Answer

Chris: Go to the parts store, get a can of throttle body/carb cleaner, a fuel filter, and an air cleaner for that thing. Spray the two mechanisms on top of the carb where the cables connect until they are clean and move freely. Remove the screw on the bottom of the carb and the bowl will come off. Look in it before you dump the gas out to see if there is dirt in it. (Be careful not to lose the O-ring gasket from the top of the bowl) Clean the inside of it and set it aside. With the choke open, spray a generous amount of the carb cleaner into the carb where the air cleaner bolts on and spray the float that is hanging down where you removed the bowl. Use the little red straw that is taped to the side of the can (stick it in the nozzle) so you can spray only inside the carb and you're not blowing more crap into the carb. After you think everything on the inside of the carb is clean, replace the bowl. (make sure the O-ring isn't hanging out before you tighten down the bolt.) Replace the fuel filter, and install the new air filter and fire it up. If that doesnt work, you may have to remove the carb and clean it out. It may even need to be replaced, it is almost a quarter of a century old. I don't want to preach, but you HAVE to keep the air cleaner on those things too. Just the smallest speck or dirt will hose up those carburetors.

Good luck dude !

They keep killing suzie. Its not a cable its directly on the carburettor. Its not stuck. I was riding then it suddenlty started happenign. When you start the bike it runs fine and revs and returns to idle but then after 1 minutre the bike starts to idle high then if you rev it it revs super high and stays revving and wont return to idle. If i dont rev it and leave it the idle become super high and I have to turn the bike off.

Check the choke cable. If its sticking that means the choke is held on even though you think it's off, so that from cold the engine will run fine, but once warm it will bog down and stall. 

Remove the cable and see whether it moves freely,  if not use WD40 to free it up, but if that doesn't work buy a new cable and adjust it so the butterfly valve in the carb is fully open then fully closed when the choke is off.

Edit... well, that is a mystery,  Christopher.  I can only recommend removing the carb and stripping it down because it has to be a carburettor fault.  I suppose you have checked the throttle cable is free and not snagging,  right?