Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 2 months ago

If I where to be diagnosed with PTSD how would that effect future employment or current employment etc? ?

Im asking because I need to work like everyone else..

My presenting issue was depression, and I got a lot of relief from anti-depressants. Later I was diagnosed with PTSD, and eventually switched to a mood stabilizer (Lamotrigine in my case), which works better for me.

I was lucky to have flexible hours and could take a lot of "late lunches." I was also able to hide everything from employers. I would not say anything to current or future employers. It's illegal for companies to go fishing for medical problems that don't relate to the job when hiring. That provides no real protection for you as an individual, but it has shamed or scared most employers into refraining from the practice.

And finally, ignore idiots like baby Ey who want to shame you for lacking self-control, hiding behind excuses, etc., when they have no knowledge of your situation.

Don't tell them and they won't know unless you fly off the handle for no reason. And its spelled WERE.

nobody has to know. but almost nobody understands a PTSD diagnosis as anything other than "mental instability" and "unreliability" and "insurance liability".

a mental health diagnosis is not an excuse for a refusal to face your fears and develop stronger self-control.

• Dze

depends on if you tell them or not .. a big mistake alot of people make is thinking theyre going to get a 'sympathy vote' by an employer by complaining about how theyre disabled .. bad move .. just lettin you know ..