Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

If pulled over: can I exit my car and instead  walk up to the window of the cop? ?

You can but not recommended.

On a motorcycle, UR "outside" anyway, so it isn't such a big deal to dismount and stand.

EDIT:   This CRAP about" Weapons'". In AZ it is fully Legal to carry, open or concealed,  Cops do NOT   trip  over one, but, best to Tell the officer, First, and where it is. He may ask you to remove it, two fingers only, lay on passenger seat. They usually ask, anyway. Fully legal in AZ to have an automatic ("Machine gun") on tripod in back seat. No trouble, cop will ask if loaded and to see your Class   3.  Should have flap open, a stick holding bolt/breechblock open. .

• miffy

Yes of course and if you have a firearm carry it with you and point it at the cop.Its also best if you shout abuse while you are walking over and spit through the cops window .

Source(s): Me,serving 20 yearsin Rikers.

When I am pulled over I put the car in park, get my ID & registration, turn-off the radio, roll down the driver-side window & put my hands out in plain-sight of the officer, and wait for instructions from the approaching officer. 

If you get out of the car, you are escalating the situation.  It is logical for the officer to assume you will attempt to run away. 

If you instead approach the cop-car, you are further escalating the situation.  It is logical for the officer to believe you intend to attack them. 

My two-cents is "stay quietly in the car with your hands in view and await instructions from the officer." 

If you are pulled over, it is a BAD idea to do anything the officer doesn't approve in advance.

• Ann

Do neither.  Sit quietly in your car with your hands on the steering wheel until the officer walks up to you.  Don't make a move until he tells you to.

You could, but it's probably a bad idea. 

My advice if you're pulled over is to turn on your interior light if it's dark, and put both of your hands on your steering wheel where the officer can see them as s/he approaches you. Don't reach for your glove compartment to retrieve your documents until s/he asks. 

That way the officer will feel safe and not worry as much, which is good for you.

• yay

No, I wouldn't advise doing that at all, unless you want to make the situation a lot worse than it needs to be. 

I worked with someone who suggested it so as to allow the cop to remain in his position of power (his car). However, some cops get nervous when seeing anything out of the ordinary, so, at the very least, be sure that the cop can see that you are not carrying a weapon. I take no responsibility for what happens to you.

You can do whatever you want, it's a free country. But most pigs don't like it when people do that, it makes them feel intimidated and they might shoot you. 

• sam

Stay put with hands on the steering wheel.