Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

What should I feed my dog on a lacto-vegetarian diet?

I live in a Jain neighbourhood in India where meat eaters are not even accepted. I can't bring meat home because I will be kicked out of the neighbourhood by vegetarians. I have a dog and I need to find a good alternative for meat and eggs. 

Favorite Answer

You'll have to look around for more authoritative advice than me but to point you in the right direction a Tamil friend mentioned in passing that when she was a child the local dogs were fed on a diet of thick milk/curd and rice.  You need to consult with a local vet who understands your problem.

There is packaged vegetarian dog food! They can be healthy on a vegan or vegetarian diet because most regular dog food is meat scraps then a bunch of supplements, so vegetarian dog food is veggies and grains with the same supplements. I have a friend who's dog is also allergic to meat and he is still super healthy. Some ideas are carrots and sweet potatoes, but to stay healthy they need at least some supplemented vegetarian dog food. 

• Janet

Buy premade dog food ... even dried kibble.  Dogs NEED 1/3 of theirr food to BE meat.  If you cannot take care of your dog, give it to someone who can feed it properly ... or move to another neighbourhood.

Dogs shouldn't be fed a vegetarian diet. If it means you have to move to somewhere else, so be it. Jainism is a false religion anyways.

I struggle to believe that this is genuine. However, unlike cats, dogs will eat most things, including cooked vegetables, but get some professional advice. If you really are a dog owner in a Jain community, I doubt that you are the only one.

There's a wolf inside your dog.  Dogs and wolves need meat. 

• kswck2

Best bet is to ask your Vet. 

• Mark

Cooked sweet potatoes.