Jagger Otto asked in Social ScienceSociology · 2 months ago

Why do people keep cutting people off during a conversation?

I was trying to say to my mom that

I would leave the portable heater on before I go to bed

to have the room be hot enough so that my parakeets

won't freeze during the night. The room is above the garage...  The room

is the coldest during winter and was the hottest during the summer.

I'm scare to leave the portable heater on unattended.

Here is what my mom do....

I said, "I would leave the portable heater on before I...."

She asked, "You mean before you go to bed?"

I answered, "Yeah, so that the room wouldn't be..."

She asked, "Why?"

I answered, "Because so that the room wouldn't be...."

She asked, "Did you turn it off before you got to bed?

Sigh....  She got confused again... 

Why do people keep cutting people off? Why can't they just listen?

• Chanel

Sounds like she is worried about the electric bill.

• Lili

They are often bored because you are using too many words to say something simple. Or you are saying something that you really don't even need to say.

Why are parakeets in that room if the temperature is so problematic?

• Willie

Because most of the time the people that are talking won't give you a chance to say a word.

• Bobo

Because they don't like what is being said or they don't fully understand what is being said.  Disagreements are not absolute, they are mailable and can be resolved with compromise.

Research has shown that 65 degrees is the best sleeping temperature and we go to sleep as our body cools down so why did your Mom act dumb is the answer....No disrespect to your Mom but they did not want to listen to you always fussing on them so she cuts you off........You can tell when someones doesn't want to listen to you when they change the subject or begins to talk to another......cutting you off......You want to have some fun go to a corner gas stop and try to talk to the customers and you will fine those that will tell you their life travels and those that don't.....learn what smile will work to open them up for they did not come in to talk and the game is to get them too....and then see how they escape you once you get them to open up...... 

• Jake

because they are narcistic and love the sound of their own voice

Two reasons.

First, most people do that because they can't remember the counterpoint they wanted to present while listening to someone else speak. Most people have weak memories.

Funny, I've had arguments with people where I've listened to them finish a rant, give them a counter-argument regarding something they said early on in their speech, and have them claim they never said what I heard them say. Most people can't even remember things THEY have said.

So, they jump in as they hear things to ensure that something they disagree with gets addressed.

The second reason is that people cannot stand to hear opposing arguments. They can't control their emotional impulses and cannot listen before reacting. So they interrupt before they have to listen to something that has triggered them beyond what their emotional limits.