Hi is a 12 volt car battery enough power to run a ham radio (yaesu 840)? ?

As a ham, you should know that a 100 watt transceiver will need 13 amps transmitting. (your power supply should be 20 A.)

How long a car battery will run your rig is all about the capacity of the battery.

On field days, many hams power their rigs from car batteries.

My mobile rig(Kenwood TS-450SAT) I cold sit and talk sideband to buddies through lunch hour off battery. Never noticed any loss starting later, but my truck had dual 800 A/H batteries. Probably go several hours and still start the truck.

I had the power set to 60 watts to conserve power yet still enough power for solid QSOs

73s

• bill

Try not to electrocute yourself.D.C is dangerous.

How did you get a ham radio license without understanding electricity?

Does that device operate off 12v or 120?

What kind of wattage does it draw?

Car batteries should not be deeply discharged because they can quickly become ruined from that. I would not use a car battery to run things that draw lots of wattage because they can quickly become ruined from that. You need some other source of power that would be re-charging the battery as you use it.

• khalil

as far as i know, it carries about 20 amperes so a 60Ah / 12 v battery will last about an hour.....the connecting wires MUST be THICKER.with a 20A fuse.

• Rick

probably, but not a lineal amp too ................................